Thursday, June 19, 2008

using the 11th article of faith to my advantage, By AMBERLY

"Why do you feel the need to persuade others to leave the Church?"

“We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.”

I guess… unless it means the way they worship includes denouncing Mormonism. Why is it that the Church can have an LDS website on the internet for whoever wants to view it, but I can’t have a website proclaiming my beliefs against Mormonism? Why is it that Mormons can proselyte- even knock on the doors of people’s homes, to persuade them to leave whatever church they are a part of, but I can’t simply have a website where I express my feelings, and perhaps persuade them to believe what I believe?

If one were to leave Catholicism to be Mormon, he would be praised. But if one is to leave Mormonism to join another church or none at all, he is looked down upon as a sinner. The church may claim to have and know the truth, but I claim the same thing. The church does not have a copyright on “truth”. You can’t have a double standard just because you go around saying your church is the only true one. Anyone can say that.

6 comments:

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

You are perfectly entitled to having this blog, just as the Flat Earth Society is entitled to their site. Just because I don't agree with everything doesn't mean the site should not exist. And it is by my choice that I peruse it every once in a while with full knowledge I may find things offensive. And that's okay. By the way, the website for the FES is quite... interesting:)

Your are correct: It is wrong for members of the church to look "down upon [people leaving the church] as a sinner" but because the gospel is something we love-it is the whole reason people do missionary work, no matter what religion- and when we also love that person who is leaving, it does hurt quite a bit and we do feel compelled to say something to try and reverse whatever happened, some more desperately than others. I don't know any perfect members though, so I am sure harsh words are exchanged.
It is kinda like my decision to stop drinking caffeinated beverages (I know, it is a rediculous analogy) but my dad LOVES his Dr. Pepper, and is always trying to get me to return to the tasty land of Dr. Pepper. He just loves his 23 flavors, and he loves me, so, he'd like to share a cold one every once in a while. :)Ha ha, How's that, did that work?

Amberly said...

Wow, that's cool that you compare my blog to something as illogical as a website proclaiming the earth is flat.

;-)

People HAVE noted our blog to be something negative and have either asked or hinted at us to take it down. All of them being members. Not one non-mormon has said anything negative about our blog or asked us to take it down. Just makes me laugh is all...

Lynette Olsen said...

It's not a sin to leave the church, but it is a sin to tell lies about it.

Amberly said...

What?!?!? It's not a sin to leave the church? Are you on crack? If you leave the church, and want to come back, why then do you have to go through huge repentence processes, and possibly excommunication and rebaptism?

Second, I am not telling ANY lies about Mormonism.

Lynette Olsen said...

Anyone can say anything. That's a great thing about this country. Anyone can say their church is true as you said, but unless they're Mormon they are mistaken.

Amberly said...

I don't think ANYONE should be claiming their church is true.