Monday, May 5, 2008

all these things that i've done

brandon flowers is the lead singer to the killers. he's also mormon. he calls himself mormon but doesn't/can't live up to the values and standards to mormonism- information i have gathered from various interviews about him. i think one of my all time favorite songs is all these things that i've done by the killers from their album hot fuss. track number 5. amazing.

for those of you who are not familiar with the song- here's the lyrics

When there's nowhere else to run
Is there room for one more son
One more son
If you can hold on
If you can hold on,
hold on

I wanna stand up, I wanna let go
You know, you know - no you don't, you don't
I wanna shine on in the hearts of men
I want a meaning from the back of my broken hand
Another head aches, another heart breaks
I am so much older than I can take
And my affection, well it comes and goes
I need direction to perfection, no no no no Help me out
Yeah, you know you got to help me out
Yeah, oh don't you put me on the blackburner
You know you got to help me out

And when there's nowhere else to run
Is there room for one more son
These changes ain't changing me
The cold-hearted boy I used to be
Yeah, you know you got to help me out
Yeah, oh don't you put me on the blackburner
You know you got to help me out
You're gonna bring yourself down
Yeah, you're gonna bring yourself down
Yeah, you're gonna bring yourself down

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier...
Yeah, you know you got to help me out
Yeah, oh don't you put me on the blackburner
You know you got to help me out
You're gonna bring yourself down
You're gonna bring yourself down
Yeah, oh don't you put me on the blackburner
Yeah, you're gonna bring yourself down

Over and out, last call for sin
While everyone's lost, the battle is won
With all these things that I've done
All these things that I've doneIf you can hold on
If you can hold on

if you really didn't get the whole effect by just reading them, maybe you should listen to it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6ERe23kSBM

some people that i've told that i've left the church actually said to me that they weren't surprised. these are members of the church. they knew i was having doubts. and what did they do? they put me on the back burner.... not that trying to fellowship me while going through these doubts would have done anything anyway. but no one even tried! i may be wrong, but the information i gathered in the 21 years of membership was that mormons fellowship non-members, the less active, and those who may be struggling. hmmm....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to preface this comment by saying I am LDS and a devout member (whatever devout means, lol... that just sounds right!)

I do believe in this Church... although more often then not, the people fall below what is supposed to be going on! I believe that when the Savior comes many people will be surprised... because some have missed the point...

...which is: LOVE... for ALL. Not just for members or people you think are cool but everybody. And especially those who are struggling!!! When the Savior came down to Earth in the New Testament who did he go and see. The Pharasees who thought they were the "chosen ones" or the ones who were considered afflicted? Interesting how we sometimes view ourselves as the chosen ones isn't it.

That isn't the way the Lord wants it though!!! It sucks! We all have our egos though and want to be better than others that we just aren't getting it! The Church is supposed to be run this way but instead sometimes it feeds peoples egos into feeling more righteous than others.

HIGHLY recommend you reading the book A New Earth... it will explain this whole ego thing. It is not an LDS Book at all!!! But for me, it helped me to understand how the Lord wants things to be more clearly. It will help you to see your situation clearer. And we will probably see things different but hey- that is just fine by me!!! Moving on to your next post... :)

Anonymous said...

i agree. if Christ saw what we've done with his name, he'd more made than the guy on hell's kitchen. he'd rage way more than he did in the temple. seriously. he'd go nucking futz.