Thursday, May 22, 2008

a life long struggle, By AMBERLY

Some of my previous posts, I admit, were seemingly full of anger. This may seem a little confusing especially when i seem to also portray an image that everyone is entitled to believe what they want, and no one should care. i tried really hard to just leave it all alone and to just go on my way, but i couldn't. i had to make a blog and express my feelings. i have been thinking a lot lately about why i feel this way. it wasn't until last week when i finally talked to my dad that i realized something. i realized it the moment i started speaking the words. and i don't know why i never realized that i should say this before, or to even say it to my mom. but what i realized was this: i have had a life long struggle with mormonism. let me explain.


Growing up, i never had a firm and faithful testimony of the church. Some of you may or may not know that. Most of you know i left the church at 18 for a period of 3 years. But, this starts way before then. Growing up, i hated going to church. i hated praying on my own, reading the scriptures on my own-or with my family, i hated family night, i pretty much hated anything that had to do with the church. i didn't care, and felt like it was a waste of my time. i only did these things because my parents made me and i knew if i didn't do them i would get in trouble. I don’t feel I chose to be baptized. I did it because I was supposed to and everyone else in my primary class was doing it. There was just not choice in the matter. i hated going to mutual, young women’s, seminary and other church activities and firesides. And i especially hated girl’s camp. The only thing i remotely liked doing, was going to the dances. i hated that i couldn't wear tank tops or date boys until i was 16. i broke every rule set for me. i started having boyfriends when i was 12, and occasionally snuck out in tank tops. i experimented with cigarettes at 13.


When i got into high school it only progressed. i went to seminary because i HAD to. It wasn't until i could drive myself that i started ditching almost ALL of the time. i felt like at school, i didn't portray myself as a Mormon at all. i hated that i couldn't wear a two piece bathing suit or a prom dress that showed my shoulders. i thought it was so lame that all my prom dresses had to be altered to cover me up and then sport them around at the prom- i felt ridiculous. By the age of 18 i had no testimony, resented my parents, and wanted out of the house. i don't fully blame my parents for this, but i honestly feel that they shouldn't not put some of the blame on themselves. They just sent us off to church and seminary and expected us to learn everything for ourselves. They never took the time to teach us separately or give us their insight. The most I ever remember them trying to teach us the gospel themselves, was when we got those cartoon Book of Mormon tapes. We would watch them for family night. Also, one time we “read” the book of Mormon as a family so we could go to Disneyland. I vividly remember laying my head down and trying to sleep because I was so bored as we sat in a circle and read aloud. i never felt that my home was a place where "the spirit was" as they say. Home and all things church related were completely separate for me.

I don’t see how any of this is completely my fault. I didn’t understand anything I was doing because no one took the time to explain this stuff to me individually. I didn’t get it at all! It was like I was sent off to all these meetings and was just supposed to get it. I didn’t.


But all this time, growing up and feeling all these feelings, i felt like i knew the church was true, i just had a hard time "knowing" it was. Like, i was too weak to follow the commandments. i always felt guilty for what i was doing. i always felt like i was going to be punished in the next life for what i did. It was as if Mormonism was the only possible explanation for everything, so it had to be true. i wasn't taught anything else, just what the church teaches. So that's all i knew. It was just too hard to follow.

I left the church at 18 out of pure desire to be able to do whatever I wanted. I wasn’t under my parents rule anymore and could make my own choices. Even then, I went about my life as a “non-Mormon” but knew somehow that what I was doing went against everything I was taught and that I was sinning. Not only that but that I would again, be punished in the afterlife. How is one not supposed to feel this way when that is what they are taught their whole life? I justified it by reasoning out that I would at least make it to the telestial kingdom because Joseph Smith himself said that kingdom was for murderers and the like, and that it was so nice he would kill himself just to go there. I knew I wasn’t as bad as a murderer, so I could at least go to some sort of heaven that was supposedly terrific.

I spent those three years partying and working to make ends meat.

I knew my parents were disappointed in me, and that was hard to live with. But, approaching the age of 21 and seeing some friends who were my age graduating from college and having real jobs made me feel like my life was meaningless. I was also a smoker and felt like I was just gross. I felt like I needed a change. At that point I met John who was an upstanding Mormon. Hanging out with him, which meant not drinking or smoking (which I was already trying to give up) was refreshing. He introduced me to some of his friends and I soon found myself on a different road. It felt good. John helped me out with scheduling some classes at the local college (I had already registered though). I felt happy, like I was finally getting somewhere. In the mix of all that, John and one of his friends decided to start talking to me about the gospel. The closest in my life I have ever gotten to feeling any kind of confirmation of truth or what not, was a comment John’s friend made in relation to God. At that point I decided to give Mormonism a try.

Shortly after that John and I started dating. At this point I still had never read the BOM and really didn’t have a “testimony”. I was impressed by John, happy that my parents were proud of me because I was coming back to church and dating an upstanding Mormon, and felt refreshed about my change. I did all the steps necessary to finally gain my own personally testimony of the Church. I read the BOM and prayed. I still never felt anything, but kept going through this process in hopes that it would come. I felt like this is what I was supposed to be doing and that everything would fall into place.

I still had very little knowledge of the gospel and noticed that I was starting to hear things in church that I never heard before. People were using terms and phrases I didn’t know about. I almost felt like a fish out of water. But, I kept praying and followed all of the commandments faithfully in hopes that I would someday get it. John and I got married shortly after, and had Daphne shortly after that.

It only got harder after having a baby because I wasn’t able to pay attention in Church as I had before. I also started having questions about lots and lots of things. I would ask John. John was just so shocked at how little I knew about the Church. It was almost like I was a new convert. Soon, I started getting questions that John didn’t know the answer to.

Not only that, but I started figuring out all the facts about the Church that you can only find if you dig around for them. When I started asking John about the information I knew, he was taken back and couldn’t figure it out either.

I felt like I had been given this extremely washed out version of the gospel my whole life. I never knew or was never taught the deep doctrine that made up the church. I felt like I was fed half truths my whole life. I felt duped, lied to, mislead, and taken advantage of.

I started to realize all these things about my life that I have written here on this blog. I never did have a testimony of the church. Ever. At first, it was that I HAD to have a testimony of the church, and then it was that I WANTED to have a testimony of the church. Mormonism has always been a struggle for me; a life long struggle. I feel now that something inside of me was trying to keep me away from the church. Like somehow inside I knew it wasn’t true. I hate to say this, but I’ve said it before- it’s almost like I have been gay my whole life, but at the same time, my whole life I have been told to not be gay. And now I’m realizing that I’m just gay.

I’m not gay though. Just so you know.

Ever since I have been able to realize this about myself, it's as if a ton of bricks is off my back. I feel like it all makes sense now. I feel like I am living my life as I am suppossed to. I am being true to myself and am thinking for myself. It is such a liberating and ironically a "spiritual" experience.

I hope this helps you all understand why this has been so hard for me. I really feel like through my upbringing I was manipulated to be Mormon. I never ever had a choice. I am so glad that my little Daphne gets to have a choice. What a happy life she will have. Even if she’s gay.

4 comments:

Janee said...

I'm so glad my parents didn't shove religion down my throat. I think there's a way to guide and lead but forcing is a totally different situation. We hear about free agency all the time ya know?

Dan and I have this really good friend from Hawaii (he was one of the witnesses at our wedding since none of our family could go). Anyway, his family has always been strong in the church but let their kids decide if they wanted to get baptized when they understood what was going on. He didn't get baptized until he was 12 I think because he said he just didn't understand really what he was doing or what it meant until then.

So for as controversial as that idea may be to members, it always made sense to me. I want Maya to understand what she is doing when she is baptized. My family moved to AZ when I was very young. We had a ton of LDS friends. When I decided I wanted to get baptized at 14 they were very supportive of me but also wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing. I had a lot of freedom which wasn't necessarily good or bad for me (I's like to think I turned out ok).

I'm so sorry your parents put you through that. Being in YW I'm sure you have seen how some families (and you know who I'm talking about) try to "teach" the gospel to their kids. It's like I feel that the gospel is right but what they're doing isn't.

I don't know, this is like the longest comment ever, I apologize.

Brooke said...

Hey Amberly, I haven't read all of this blog so if I say something that's already been said...First off i'm sorry to hear that you feel you've been tricked. That can't feel good. I can't speak for your whole life growing up, but I know scince I've married into this family I've heard and had quite a few disscussions about church beliefs. I remember coming home after you recieved your endowment and Dad said some of the most amazing things about the cerimony that I'd heard. He taught me things I didn't know. I feel the same way as you described yourself though, I too feel sometimes that my knowledge isn't quite as broad as i'd like it, I've picked eric's head clean from the day we started dating. I still don't know or understand everything, but I've never felt a bad feeling about the things i believe. I'm not saying that you have to believe, nor am I going to preach to you. I want you to be happy (as does all of your family) and being mormon the church is what brings us happiness...
I personally don't have a problem with the Salt lake city mall project either. I heard that it's to clean up the area because this is the city that represents the church. I think that they're moving the LDS Business college there. I'm not sure, but I thought I read that somewhere.

I think that the comment about Daphne was asked wrong. I read one of your past blogs and had a similar reaction, but let me explain why. I think that you were talking about always being proud of daphne even if she was gay or did drugs or had premarital sex ( I think those were some of the things you mentined, but that's not the point ) I see now after reading your most recent posts that you weren't saying that you wouldn't care, you wre saying that you would always love her... I got a little worried because i interpreted it differently. I think it threw me because I know how much you love her and that you want what's best for her...Our ideas of what's best for our children are a little different now, but we both love them.

Speaking of loving children, (please don't take any of this wrong) I know that you and mom never saw eye to eye, I didn't grow up in your home, I don't know what it like. Despite all that mom does love you guys. Her hearts in the right place. Her actions may not always be the thing that you or I may deem the best, but she has a lot of love. I've come to you in the past with hurt feelings or feeling upset, but she's human (as are we all).

I'm not trying to reconvert you (not that I'd be opposed to the notion ;) ) I wanted to let you know how I feel and that I do care about the things that you're feeling. I know that I ever took the church out of my life I would feel very lost and devistated, while you may not feel this way anymore, my heart went out to you while you were deciding. My prayers are with you and I want to stay in contact about the girls and our families, but I'd like to continue leaving religion out of our disscussions for a little while. I hope you understand.
love
brooke

Amberly said...

Hey Brooke,

I had some more thoughts after thinking about your post.

First, that's really cool that my dad said some cool things to you about my endowment ceremony. That's more than I ever got from him. He never shared any spiritual insight or experiences like that with me. But that's fine. Because I am where I am now, and I like that.

Just to make sure everything is clarified with Daphne: I would love her unconditionally. Even if she were a drug addict. I wouldn't be PROUD of her if she were a drug addict, but I would still be proud of her if she were gay or had premarital sex. I want her to be safe and happy, but my definiton of that is going to be FAR more liberal than any Mormon. Proud, happy for her, and still love her... those are all different things. But I will always try to be proud of her no matter what. I don't expect her to do what I want her to do, and only be proud of her if she does those things. My mom said she would be proud of me if I put Daphne's needs first. Then, she would be proud of me. I thought that was interesting for her to say that. Like she knows what's going on around her. She has no idea how much I go out of my way to make sure that Daphne's needs are always the first ones in priority.

I know that a lot of people are seeing things from mom's perspective. And that's great. I'm not asking her to be a perfect mother. I'm just asking her to have respect, which she shown very little of since I left the church. But no one really knows what its like to be me.

Brooke said...

The stuff that Dad talked about in the car on the way home was to both you and me. You were sitting next to me in the back seat. ( I don't think you were very happy about it, because you wanted to be with John at that point. Which I understand)
As far as being proud Of Daphne (or in my case Alaura) I will always love a her, but if she makes choices that I feel aren't good, (I will always love her and I will always be there for her) I wouldn't be proud of the things that she's doing. If that makes me not proud of her then...Not to sound wrong or cliche, but I guess it would be a "love the sinner but not the sin" type of a thing. Meaning I will always love her and do what i can to support her, but I don't have to approve of the things that she does.
I'm sure that you do put Daphne's needs ahead of your own. I think Mom was thinking from a standpoint of Daphne (and you guys) needing the church and it's teachings in her life.
I can't imagine raising a family in this world with out the guidelines i was raised with. I Made my fair share of what I consider mistakes and i don't want Alaura to have to face those same situations. Without the church I'm pretty sure that she will. I don't want her to drink, especially as a teenager, because not only do I not want her hurting herself or someone else, but I don't want someone else hurting her. Even if I weren't a member I'd still prefer that she not have premarital sex. There's so much emothion behind that...and so much risk of disease now. I know that she has to make her own choices and she (and I) has to live with them, I just want to save her from any unnessasary hurt.
If you can think how it made you feel while you were an active member of the church when Lidia was saying things about the church or doing things you may have wondered about, maybe you can remember feeling like we do.
I feel sad by whole situation...becase as john put it, I feel tike i have some amazing "Orange juice" and I want to share it too.
I can't imagine not having a good relationship with my mom, I've always had a friend in her...I'm sorry you don't feel the same about your mom. I don't know what goes on between you and Mom because I'm not there, and most people will side with mom, well, those who want the same things for you that mom does will side with that. I hope that you guys are able to reach an understanding.